Saturday, July 16, 2011

Salsa - Be still my heart.

I love salsa.  I mean seriously, I'm addicted.  Nick has a recipe he got from a family friend several years ago that we like to make and it makes a huge amount!!!  Plus it's delicious!!!!  And today's your lucky day, because I'm going to share it with you.  I know, you're probably getting all worked up with excitement on your side of the computer screen, as well you should.  Be prepared to taste (well, only if you make it) the best homemade salsa ever.

Here are the players:
5 cans diced tomatoes (I told you, it makes a lot!)
1 can italian tomatoes
1 can mexican tomatoes (we use Rotel)
1 onion (or half, or whatever you like)
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/2 bunch green onion
3 jalapenos
Sprinkle of garlic powder (you can used minced garlic if you like, but more on that later)

You can really adjust the amount of these ingredients to be more or less depending on your preferences.  These are ours.


Start by chopping up all of your chop-able items.  See my hubby's handiwork??



Find yourself a ridiculously good-looking helper.  :)  Here's mine:


The green onions.  Ooooohhh how I love the smell of green onions.  And cilantro.  Mmmm... Can you smell it through the screen?


Chop the onions.  And cry a little because that's what they make me do.  


Here they all are chopped up.  Onions, jalapenos, cilantro, green onions.


We're not chunky tomato eaters in our house, so we run our diced tomatoes through the food processor a time or two.  Just until we get it to the right consistency.



Ok, that looks like pure liquid, but I promise it's not.  Really.  :)


You'll need a big bowl for this.


Then add in all the goods.  Jalapenos here.


Green onions.


Onions.



Cilantro.  yum!


And the rest of the tomatoes.



Next, add a little garlic powder.  Now here's where we messed up the first time we made this.  The recipe Nick had said to use 2 cloves of garlic, so at the grocery store, we naturally bought 2 cloves of garlic, chopped it up and threw it in.  Bad mistake.  Seriously bad.  Once the salsa sat for a day or two, we took a bite and the garlic was extremely strong.  Like you-brush-your-teeth-4-times-trying-to-get-the-garlic-smell-off-your-breath strong.  So bad.  We had to throw the whole batch away.  It was sad.  So now we just use some garlic powder.  This has been a much better solution.  


Then mix it all up.  Look at that delicious goodness.


Hello beautiful.


Grab a chip and dig in!!!  
(Salsa is always better the longer it sits to kind of marinate together.  So tomorrow it will be even better than today!)



2 comments:

  1. I'm sure we'll probably end up making this one because Caleb LOVES salsa! (and nice food photography btw.. impressive!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I CAN smell it through the computer! I have been looking for a good salsa recipe. Thanks! Do you know if I could use a blender for the tomatoes? I don't have a food processor. mmmmmm.... this looks delicious

    ReplyDelete