Monday, November 14, 2011

Giving Glory

At work we have a once-a-month Bible study called "Faith in the Workplace."  We're going through A Purpose Driven Life, which I have never read although it's a fairly well-known book.  Last month's lesson was on glorifying God.  There was a thought that struck me as we read and talked.  The author, Rick Warren, says that the birds glorify God by doing what God made them to do - even as they fly, chirp, build nests, etc, they are glorifying Him.  Birds glorify God by doing what birds do.  In that same thought, we glorify God by doing what He created us to do.  Sometimes I can make that way more complicated than it is.  I can glorify God in the way I take care of my family, love others, work, through accounting, even doing laundry and cooking dinner.  God has given us skills and gifts that we are to use to His glory.  We are to be good stewards of those gifts.  I am continually in awe that God chose me to be Caleb's mom, to be Nick's wife, to be Brad & Linda's daughter, and on and on.  But most of all, He chose me to be his child.  He sent His son, Jesus, so little ol' me could spend eternity with Him.  Now why do I worry about what I will be wearing for the day?  Or that I didn't update my blog in several days?  Or that I haven't checked facebook in the last 3 hours? 
 
Shouldn't I focus my time and energy on Him in everything?  On bringing Him glory?  On living in a way that shows others just how incredible God really is?  But I can do that even in the little things.  I can give Him glory in doing dishes, and laundry, and making spreadsheets, and dinner.  I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman.  For God and for my family.  So that my creator receives the glory in everything I do.  So that He becomes more and I become less.  I want to create healthy habits in my spiritual life in the way I love God and love others.  I want to follow my mom's example as an incredible prayer warrior. 
 
I can only do these things through God's grace.  Thank you Lord, for loving me more than I deserve - even though I'm a sinner.  Thank you for sending your Son for me.  Help me to become the woman you created me to be.  Help me to live my life to your glory.  I praise you from the deepest parts of my heart and soul.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment