Monday, January 9, 2012

Fabric Magnetic Memo Board gifts

After seeing a super cute magnetic fabric-covered memo board at a craft fair this fall that was much too expensive, I decided to make my own and give them as gifts to my sisters and sister-in-law for Christmas.  (And maybe a future one for myself...)  :)  


Here's what you need:
- Fabric
- Joist panel metal (can be found in the plumbing section of a home improvement store - way cheaper than sheet metal!)
- Frame (and spray paint if you need to paint your frames)
- Spray adhesive
- Gorilla glue
- Tin shears (they look like scissors but they're for cutting metal)
- Magnets (best deal I found was at Hobby Lobby - 1 pack of 50 round magnets that are powerful enough to hold paper through fabric)
- Buttons or something else to decorate the magnets




I got plain wooden frames from Hobby Lobby.  They only had two and I needed three, but we found some pre-cut, put together yourself frame pieces in the wood section(?) of Hobby Lobby and used that for the third.  I spray primed and painted the frames to go with the fabric I picked out at Hobby Lobby.   (side note: Can we just take a minute to enjoy the amazing-ness that is Hobby Lobby?  I love that place!  And I got some great deals there last night - more on that later.).


My wonderful husband measured and cut the metal for me.  Then it was time to assemble it all together!  I just laid the fabric face down and put the metal on top.  



Then I cut the fabric a little wider than metal sheet.  



Next, I made sure the fabric was very smooth and there were no wrinkles.  Then, I just sprayed the spray adhesive onto the back of the extra fabric and the back of the magnet board and folded the fabric over the back, still making sure everything in the front was staying tight. 





It doesn't matter what the back looks like because, well, it's the back!  No one will see it.  :)
This red and brown paisley pattern one was for my sister-in-law to match her kitchen colors.



The black and white one was for my sister, Hollie.



I hot glued buttons onto my magnets.  



And this one was for my sister, Julie.  





Now I need to make one for myself!  :)  Happy crafting!

4 comments:

  1. These are super cute! I made some chalkboards recently as a gift, but I think these are nicer and so easy. I'm going to have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you put anything on the back to hang it up? Trying to figure out the best way to do that since it's metal on the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband just used those saw tooth hangers for hanging pictures. You can buy them just about anywhere. He attached them to the back of the wooden frame.

      Delete
  3. Thank you. After I posted my question I thought maybe I could make sure the frame goes outside of the edge of the metal just a little to attach that.

    ReplyDelete