Friday, August 17, 2012

A Month Off

I know I bragged on my husband in my last post, but I have more to say.  At the end of July, we were in the kitchen one night and he said, "You know Val, I think I want to give you the month of August off - you know, from cooking dinner and grocery shopping."  I stopped right in my tracks and said, "Wait, what??"  And he explained how he knew it was wearing on me to have to come home from work and decide what was for dinner and make it and go grocery shopping on my lunch break, etc.  All you cooks in the household understand how huge this act was.  I asked him if he really understood what he was offering and he said he'd like to give it a try and take over all the dinners and grocery shopping for the month of August.  I was blown away.  What a striking and practical example of servant-minded love for a husband to have (and show!) for his wife! 

So, we are now a little over 2 weeks in and he has been doing awesome.  At the beginning of the month, he went through all the cabinets, the fridge and the freezer and took inventory of what we had.  Then, he made a list of all kinds of potential meal ideas for the month, then planned them all out - writing them on the calendar.  Next he made a whole shopping list and got just about everything he needed.  He has done a really great job with his meals, making them well-rounded and tasty too!  I think he has done a much better job at meal planning than me (I am terrible), and I can see how that helps so much because he already knows what he's making and knows that he has all the ingredients, which can sometimes be the hardest/most stressful part. 

This month was just what this momma and wife needed to get a fresh appreciation for cooking and meal planning!  I realize that I am extremely blessed to have a husband who recognizes ways to best love me and then acts on that!  He knows me so well that he can tell just what I need (noticing that cooking was becoming more of a burden than a joy).  And I have been able to work on other projects around the house that I've been putting off because as most of you understand, once you come home, cook dinner, clean up and put Caleb to bed, there's not much more energy to tackle the other "projects" like organizing papers to file and sorting through Caleb's too-small clothes and cleaning up "junk" areas, etc.  I also get to spend more time with Caleb when I get home, which has been good because boy, has he been clingy to me for the past 2 weeks! 

Since we are a family with two full-time-working-outside-the-home-parents, we are learning more and more how to help each other and share the loads - and that goes both ways.  I want to find ways to serve and encourage him as well.  I am so thankful the Lord gave me Nick as a husband.  He knew exactly what I needed.  No surprise there.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Go Nick! You should tell him since he did such a great job, he gets to keep that job for good ;)

    ReplyDelete