Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Long Time Coming

Well, I did it.

I finally finished the Couch to 5k program this weekend.  Woohoo!!!!  This is something I have been wanting to do for probably a couple of years.  I have started it several times, talked about it herehere and here.  I started having heel pain right after I ran my first 20 minute run when I was doing it in the spring, so I took a month off during May or June I think?  I am pretty sure it is plantar fascitis.  My parents have dealt with it before.  Well, I decided to power through the pain and find ways to manage it a little better.  This past Saturday, I ran in my first 5k race, Fight Back 5k in Bentonville.  I got a dumb head cold on Thursday night right before, so I had to walk a few times, but I did it!

This is a huge deal for me.  It was emotional to finish and I even teared up.  My motivation this time was different than all the other times I've tried to complete the program: my babies.  It is important for me to work hard to take better care of my body and this has taken on a whole new meaning this past year.

Nick, Caleb and I got up super early on Saturday morning and headed to Bentonville.  They were an awesome cheering squad and sure helped to keep me motivated.  It was harder than I expected.  Before the race, the longest I had run without stopping was 28 minutes.  I finished this race in 34:44.  Even though I had to walk some, I was not the last person to finish and I did not pass out - 2 things that made it a success in my book!

I can't say that I've been bitten by the "race bug", but they sure are good goals to work toward.  I would like to keep up the hard work and the next goal is to run the entire 5k!  And my reward for completing the C25K program and the race is to go to Feet Fleet and get properly fitted for some new running shoes.  The ones I have now aren't tolerable unless I have at least 3 bandaids on and even then, I got about an inch long blister on the bottom of my foot, lol!  I can't wait for new shoes!!

Last night I went for a run.  I wasn't sure how far I would go, since this time I didn't have any specific plan in mind.  That first 1/2 - 1 mile is always the hardest for me.  My legs and calves especially are not warmed up and loose and it is so tough.  That's when I want to give up the most.  But I powered through and told myself to at least run two miles.  Well, I got to 2 miles (around 22 min for me) and told myself that I needed to at least run 28 minutes since I've done that before and then I might as well run the 30 minutes that was the last day for C25K.  And I was feeling so good that I thought I might as well just get to 3 miles for crying out loud.  And heck, why not just finish up with that last 0.1 miles to make it a solid, legitimate 5k?!  So I ran 3.1 miles without stopping last night!!  For me, that was 34:10 or something like that.  That's the farthest I've ever gone!  And I felt really great at the end!  Who am I??!  :)

I am really stoked about getting new shoes and getting properly fitted because this blister on the bottom of my foot is just getting outta control.

I just had to share a big milestone for me!!!  Woohoo!!!!!!  The tough part will be keeping it up, but I have already gone out since finishing and since I only go about 3 times a week, it's a totally doable goal.  Thankful for my man who is flexible with and supportive of me making time to run!


1 comment:

  1. Val that is so awesome! I have always wanted to be a "long distance" runner. It has never been easy for me either- but like you, ive been working toward that 5k :) Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete